Monday, June 28, 2010

Hudson’s room

I never shared pictures of Hudson’s room.  We actually just finally finished it a few weeks ago.  Before he was born, I had bought some crib bedding, but then decided it wasn’t really what I wanted.  So we returned that bedding and started completely from scratch.

I saw this sailboat mobile in Pottery Barn Kids and decided to use it as my inspiration for the room.

sailboatmobile    

I could have just gone to PBK (Pottery Barn Kids) and bought their sailboat themed crib bedding to match, but I didn’t really want to have a major theme running through the room, so I tried to stay away from going overboard on sailboats.  I painted the walls with Martha Stewart’s Flagstone.  It’s a gray color and I was wanting the room to resemble a foggy harbor.  I used the colors red, white, and blue and some nautical things to pull everything together.

I also hunted for sales.  The valances (you can see them in the window behind the sailboats) were on sale at PBK for $9.99 each, so I grabbed two for the windows.  And all the bedding was on clearance at either the PBK store or online.  The crib skirt was marked down to $19.98.  I think they’re usually about $60, so I snatched it up.  It has red and blue stitching running along the bottom of it.  The crib sheet was marked down to $6.99.  It’s covered in blue and red whales.  And I got two of those, because I know there will be times when I will need to have an extra one on hand.   The bumper is my favorite steal.  I bought it at PBK online. There wasn’t a picture of it to see what it looked like, the website just said that it was red and blue and it was marked down majorly to $6.99.  So I ordered it, hoping for the best, but thinking that even if it didn’t match at all, I could sell it on Craigslist for more than that.   Then when I opened the package, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it matched perfectly.

 crib

So, here’s the “tour” of the room.  I just tried to take pictures going clockwise, starting from when you walk into the room and see the crib.  My camera lens is a 50mm and does not change (meaning the only way to get more or less in a picture is to move your body backwards or forwards), so there were times when I couldn’t get as much as I wanted in the picture because the room is pretty small and I couldn’t move back any farther.

hudsonroom

bookshelf

Nothing’s exciting about this picture, but it’s part of the room, so I just took a picture. (Oh, but I do like my cool Coca-cola box in the bottom of the picture.)

chair

 

changingtable

This next picture is not part of Hudson’s room, but do you see those cool rope shelves hanging above the bed?  I thought they were pretty fun and they looked easy enough to make, so I convinced Tim (do you notice how often I have been “convincing” Tim lately?  haha!) that we could make some for Hudson’s room.

image

 

And since Tim is easily convincible by me, we made them.  We paid $1 each for two pieces of scrap wood, bought rope for about $5, and then picked up some unique looking hardware to hang them with.  Tim cut, drilled holes, and then painted the wood.  The hardest part was tying the ropes and getting the shelves to hang even.  But our persistence paid off and in the end, they turned out really cute.  

h-shelf

These shelves are probably one of my favorite things in the room.  The art work are original pieces by Tyson Scott.  (If you’d like to put in an order, let me know and I will contact him for you, but I’ve heard he’s quite pricey! :) )

h-shelf2

 

And with the leftover rope, I wrapped it around a softball and made….well, something…. I don’t really know what it is, but I like it and it looks nautical, don’t you think?

ladder

And I threw a paddle in the corner and now we’re back to the crib. 

paddle

So that was Hudson’s room.

2 comments:

  1. okay, when we get a house, i'm hiring you to decorate...seriously. i see stuff in my head, but can't implement it...you have a great ability to do both! love hudson's room. the rope shelves, his name and the mobile are my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I agree....I want you to help me decorate if I ever move. You've got the touch. Can't wait to see what you do with your room!

    ReplyDelete